Saturday, May 10, 2008

Friday, May 9

I didn't walk until evening. I thought about just riding the bike but remembered what Chris had told me. "Walking is your priority. If you only do one thing, WALK."

It was 7:30 PM when I left my house. Perfect temperature to be outside! Lots of people at the park near my house. No stray dogs running around.

I recognized a man far across the park. I knew his stature and his gait. What a thrill and a lift to my spirit. It was my dear husband.

We walked toward eachother. He was smiling and swinging his arms. He thought I was finished and ready to come home but I was only halfway through my 30 minutes. He said he'd keep walking with me.

It blessed my heart for several reasons:
Bob usually walks slowly but he kept up with my pace.
He had just finished a long day of work (he's in construction -- his work is labor intensive), and I knew he was tired. At the end of our walk he told me that he doesn't like walking (for exercise) and didn't think he could ever do it on a regular basis. I've always admired his ability to get up and go to work day after day whether he's very tired, not feeling well, it's too hot, or he'd like to take a day off. He just goes. It felt good to know that in my own way I was committed to doing something day after day too.

No comments: