Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bittersweet

My best friend from high school is getting married! She asked me to be her Matron of Honor. Of course I said yes (inspite of the lump in my throat that left me momentarily speechless). I told her that I had never been a Maid of Honor before and would read up on my duties and responsibilities. We both laughed and she said she had never been a bride before either. (She had been married, but did not have a wedding ceremony).

After we talked I started thinking .... I was very happy for her but why did she have to be getting married NOW when I was at my heaviest weight?!

I imagined how the wedding photos would look. The beautiful (slim and trim) bride in her fitted wedding gown and me, standing next to her, in my moo moo.

As days passed, we'd talk on the phone about dresses (for me). I was so encouraged by her understanding about my insecurities. No wonder she was my best friend! Unfortunately, most of the wedding party dresses were either strapless or had spaghetti straps. Because the wedding will be in August, we were told over and over again to REMEMBER HOW HOT IT WILL BE. That's not news to me, I happen to be an Arizona native. As a matter of fact, I was married the end of October (when temperatures should be dropping) and wouldn't you know it was the hottest day of that month!

One of my body concerns is my flapping wings that I would prefer to cover up! And of course there are the "twins" as they are affectionally called (although we women know that it is common to have breasts of different sizes). All I know is .... when we go out to eat, I manage to spill something onto the "shelf." I don't know why it doesn't happen to men with pot bellies. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention. Remind me to start looking at their bellies when they walk past me. I may have just missed the stains all this time!

1 comment:

murfsturf said...

If you have to wear a moo moo, the least your friend could do is have her wedding in Hawaii.