Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Always try before you buy

I thought I wanted to get a recumbent exercise bike. Bob started searching. He located one and off we went to look at it together. It was a Schwinn, good brand! Good price for a used one that was in like new condition.

It looked very sturdy and like it was built to last. The shop owner said that Schwinns always have a great resale value (as long as you don't have a large dog that chews on it). Not an issue for us. We have a dog. She's a lover (licker) not a biter.

I sat down and pulled my legs up into the stirups. Not bad, nice seat and comfy back rest. You can put your hands down at your sides (where the pulse monitor is located) or hold onto the handle bars in front of you. There's a water bottle holder and even a place to put a book or magazine while you ride.

We were just smiling away, until I started to pedal. First thing I noticed was a sharp pain in my left hip. A pain that keeps me "leaning on the Lord," a thorn in the flesh that will stab me without warning. I stopped pedalling and said, "I can't ride this bike."

So Bob adjusted the seat back, climbed on, stuck his cowboy boots in the stirups and leaned back. He started pedalling with a bit more vigor than I had. The seat was wobbling and the frame was rocking and clacking (he hadn't made sure the seat was tightened down all the way first).

Once the loud commotion was fixed, he sat and laughed. With that distraction gone, he was able to concentrate on why he didn't like this bike. While reclining, our "ample" bellies were squished and it was very uncomfortable to ride.

I tried an upright bike. He tried it too. We agreed that it was much more comfortable to our abs. I still had some pain in my hip now and then, but that's to be expected I suppose.

The shop owner pointed out that the Schwinn was a better buy (than the upright he had in the store). He very gently told us that as we used the bike, the discomfort would ease up because the "squshy matter" would be shrinking. He thought that we'd learn to love the Schwinn and offered to let us take it home and ride it for a month with the understanding that IF we absolutely hated it, we could bring it back and he'd give us all the purchase price toward another bike.

Yes, the Schwinn was a "better investment" but ... what to do, what to do.

I called my expert, my personal trainer. She had some great tips. She said: don't spend any extra money for the bells and whistles (the different programs you can do, etc). She said that she has been working out for over 10 years and she NEVER uses them. She only looks at the milage and the time. She said it's really a matter of comfort when you select a bike. She didn't mean our stomachs! She meant comfort as you sit (your rear on the seat) and however you want to place your arms. It doesn't matter if it reclines or sits up. Whatever you prefer. She thought that an upright one will give your legs more of a workout. She also encouraged us to wait and buy one used. (The upright in the store was new).

I wanted to see Bob try out the bike with the handles that move as you ride. He got on and started up his fast pedalling not realizing that his arms would be flying back and forth just as fast. It was so hillarious! (Have you ever seen "Animal" on Sesame Street play the drums?) Arms were flailing and blonde hair was flying. He couldn't stop himself! I hadn't laughed like that in a long time.

Laughing hard is good exercise for your abs by the way. When was the last time you were sore the next day just from laughing?

1 comment:

murfsturf said...

Thanks for the picture of Bob looking like Animal, I laughed too. Now my sides hurt!