Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 20, 2008

Dear Diary,
I met Herb at the bank to have his signature notarized on the back of the title. Next stop, the DMV. I pulled into the parking lot amazed that it was nearly empty! It was too good to be true. There was a sign on the door that said the DMV had moved across the street. No wonder. THAT parking lot was almost full.

I was given a number and sat watching for it to come up. Yeah! It was called in less than 30 minutes! Uh oh, I would have to take a document, have Bob sign it, and bring it back. I acquired the necessary signature and stood in line the second time to get a number (this one would be expedited, I was told).

Not long after my number was called I was told that I had to have an emission test FIRST. I left to have that done. I returned before 12:30 PM (as I was told) so that I didn't have to take another number.

There was a problem. Apparently the computer said that I did not have the latest title. Another title for this vehicle was issued in Wisconsin the year after the title I had, was issued in Arizona. I
would have to call Wisconsin.

I stepped outside and called Wisconsin on my cell phone. The woman I spoke to told me that their records only went back 5 years so she could not access the records necessary to address this problem. I persisted. OK, she told me that the title request from 2001 was not completed.
She couldn't determine why. Also she told me that according to the VIN number I gave her, Herb's name was not the name on the title. What?! In that moment I wondered if we had been scammed. Herb was on his way to Mexico with thousands of dollars in cash and I had no way to reach him. No telling when he would be back ... if he would be back.

I was advised to speak to the DMV in Arizona. I asked if she would hold the line and speak to someone inside (as I started to walk toward the door). No, she said that was all she could do for me.

I stood in line for the third time to get a number. When it was called I asked for a manager or supervisor. I calmly told my story and stated this was my fourth trip into this building today.
The supervisor listened very intently. She put in a call to Wisconsin. I don't know what transpired in her office, but eventually I had my new title, registration and license plate.

2 comments:

One Sheep, One Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Sheep, One Blog said...

I made some typos in the earlier comment, so I had to remove it. Sorry. I wanted you to know how much I was touched by your maturity in the face of all the aggrevation at the DMV!! But, really, what can you do? It is what it is!