Sunday, October 19, 2008

All In The Family

I have to give kuddos to my family. Today we celebrated my husband's birthday with a costume party. They went all out and showed up in the most imaginative outfits. Let's see there was: June Cleaver, Tigger, Cher, a surgeon, a surfer dude (in need of a haircut), a bullriding cowboy, a clown, a rock star (I forgot his name) and his girlfriend, Steve Nash, "Deb" from Napolean Dynamite, a construction guy, Robin, Superman, Superman, Superman (yes, there were three),Sleeping Beauty, a renaissance princess, Mrs. White (from the game Clue), Johnny Appleseed and Carlos (he came as "himself").

They willingly gathered in my front yard, the girls on one one team and the guys on the other. Each team was given a large gift bag, three spoons, 2 disposable gloves, 2 baggies, 3 hand wipes, a pencil and a list of items to find in a scavenger hunt at the park.

Off they went, still in costume, and having a great time. I was laughing so much I could barely take pictures. We created quite a stir as those who came out to enjoy the park watched in amazment as these costumed characters ran around collecting things off the ground.

Back at the house we played our traditional trivia game with questions about the birthday person. It's become one of our favorites as we learn trivial facts about one another. Fortunately, I won this round. Good thing, since my husband was the one having the birthday!

Another part of this action packed evening was when we gathered round to open up the wrapped white elephant/yard sale worthy items that each person had brought from home. There was stealing allowed, which doesn't please all the participants. But this was MY party (at least the running of it) so we played by my rules.

After hugs, kisses and repeated good-byes, came the last bit of clean-up. I couldn't help but smile as I thought about how pleased I was that everyone was willing to do all the "silly" things I asked them to do.

Families may not always get along. There may be one or two (sometimes more) members who have tension with each other. There have been some really hard times in our family and times where we've needed some distance, but today it was so good to be together! Today we laughed and joked and ate.

Thanks again Quachi clan for showing up with your "ready to have some fun" attiudes on!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Bob! What a fun party -- maybe that could be your new career, Liz, PARTY PLANNER!

Anonymous said...

Of course, there are many other things you could do: write, stand-up comic, etc.,etc. ;)

Hischild said...

Sounds like a LOT of fun! I saw Bob on Sunday and he did not mention his birthday. SCAMP! Also saw your new red van! Looks GREAT!
So...happy belated birthday and congrats on the new wheels! This has been some fun reading. :o)