Monday, June 28, 2010

Winners and Losers

Next short term goal ... to pass the 30 pounds lost mark. Weight Watchers awards a blue ribbon for each 10 pounds members lose. I expect to have more than 10 before I'm through.

When I was a kid I was not athletically inclined. I don't have a collection of ribbons from various sports I participated in. I can remember how devastating it was for me when our junior high PE classes competed in track and field events. The worst one had to be the long distance run. It was bad enough that I would come in last but all the kids would be standing along the final stretch and they would call out very cruel remarks as I huffed and puffed along. Even my PE teacher was not an encourager to me. She didn't pull for the underdog ... kids like me.

Not so in Weight Watchers! You are NOT in competition with ANYONE else. You are NOT shamed or ridiculed, ever! Each week I am greeted with smiles, encouraging and compassionate remarks.

Whoever came up with the little chant "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" must have been born with natural athletic abilities or a hyper metabolism (one who could eat whatever they wanted and not gain excess weight).

Hmmmm ... didn't even know that all that was pushed down deep inside me.

I'm a firm believer in journaling.

1 comment:

One Sheep, One Blog said...

Yes, I agree that whoever came up with that crazy comment must have never lived through the humiliation of being verbally abused!! Thank God for places like WW were you can go and be blessed verbally!