Friday, September 19, 2008

Not An Easy Task

I'm currently taking some medication that I am supposed to not take within 2 hours of dairy products, calcium or ant-acids. When I picked it up from the pharmacist she told me to take it on an empty stomach and said that calcium is in a lot of things, even broccoli. OK... let me get this straight. "On an empty stomach" means two hours before or 2 hours after eating. And if I have calcium within 2 hours (or even 3) of taking this, it will bond to the calcium and just exit my body without doing what I'm taking it for.

This has been harder than you'd ever imagine. I have to take a different pill as soon as I wake up and then wait one hour to eat. I take several pills after I eat. I have to take them with food. This new temporary medication has thrown a monkey wrench into my whole day. And I have to take it TWICE in 24 hours !!

A few days ago I took one of the "on an empty stomach" pills at 6:00 PM. That meant I couldn't eat dinner until 8:00 PM. I went ahead and made dinner for my family and was really hungry. I decided I would just snack on something. Aha! Pastacio nuts! I read the label of ingredients. Yep, they have calcium in them.

Later that evening I was looking at the label for Lysine (which my chiropractor prescribed for the canker sore on my mouth). It has calcium in it too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, those medications can certainly cause problems!! Funny, (not ha ha) that you take medication to SOLVE problems, and that's fine if you only have to take 1 medication! Add another 1,2,3, etc., and you've got quite a lot to manage. I feel your pain!