Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Celebration Continues

We were the first guests to arrive at my daughter, Emily's, house. Her two boys were outside playing soccer. I stayed outside and watched them. As others arrived, the children gathered in the grass and took turns trying to make goals. My mom told the kids that their grandmother (me) had played soccer too. They were amazed ... or maybe shocked : )

When everyone had gathered in the house we played a game of trivia. Then Emily called all the children out of the room. Next thing I knew, they were singing "When I turned 50 somebody touched me, when I turned 50, somebody touched me, when I turned 50 somebody touched me, it must have been the hand of the Lord." As they sang. they came in one-by-one and brought a letter, a note or a card and laid it on my lap. Then they went out and came back in with another. This continued for many verses. The adults in the living room joined in with the singing too. I started to notice that some of the cards had come in the mail. I recognized some of the return addresses and before I knew it I was choked up and got teary eyed. There were so many of them!