Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Afghans

When I was younger I didn't care for afghans. I don't know why, I just preferred comforters and such. Since "the new obsession" I've been looking at afghans every chance I get. Now I know one of the main reasons why I didn't like them. It was the color of them. Most of them are brown, orange and green. (At least the majority of the ones I've seen).

I also discovered the origin of Granny Squares. They were originally made with yarn scraps and were multi-colored for that reason.

My grandmother taught me to crochet. She taught me to make a pot holder when I was a girl. Pot holders are easy to make with the simple"chain." Granny Squares are fairly easy too. I found that I can't do them and watch something on TV at the same time. If I do that (crochet absentmindedly) I make mistakes and have to pull it out and crochet over again. Which reminds me of learning to sew. I was making a "simple" peasant top and I continued to sew both sleeves on the same side. But that's another story.

No comments: