Thursday, August 21, 2008

Today's Chuckle

This wouldn't be funny if it was accurrate.

My husband did not have medical insurance. He rarely goes to the Dr. He has a phobia of needles, hospitals, white coats and the smell of rubbing alcohol. For the 19 years that I've
known him this was not an issue. His one injury was covered by the medical insurance I had when I was working. He was in pain and couldn't walk so he willingly saw a Dr.

Back to the point at hand. His recent affliction afforded us well over $10,000.00 in medical bills.
We applied for the emergency medical AHCCCS coverage. When I turned in our application the woman at the window said I should go ahead and apply for food stamps. I knew we wouldn't qualify BUT what I didn't know is what would be coming down the line. Would my sweetheart need to have surgery? Would he be unable to work for an extended period of time? So I checked the box for food stamps.

I am going to get to the funny part, I promise.

We received a letter from DES yesterday stating that we are covered and most of our medical bills will be covered. There was also a letter atttached that said this:"... your food stamp program application has been denied for the following reason: Your gross monthly income of $200.00 exceeds the maximum allowable of $2238.00." [what?!]

Then a second letter arrived that said this: " Your application for food stamps ... has been approved. Effective 7/2008 you will receive $0.00. For the next month you will receive $0.00, and after that you will receive $00.00. You are approved through 2/2009. " [huh?!]

If our monthly income was indeed $200.00, this would not be funny. Fortuntely we are not in need of food stamps.

2 comments:

Hischild said...

I've not checked this blog in a while. Had a little catchin up to do.

Well, I'm hoping your husband is feeling a LOT better and that he is symptom free now that time has marched on.

Today's chuckle IS a good one. Your government at work. Hopefully they are accurate when they tell you your medical bills are covered.
I am about to tackle that same food stamp agency w/some paperwork tonight for our family friend. I have been procrastinating (surprise). :o)

One Sheep, One Blog said...

Oh my....I am constantly amazed at how many clerical mistakes are made in so many places! If you didn't find the humor, you'd be pretty mad all the time! ; )